Monday, August 6, 2012

Magazine holders and Binder Clip Labels





It's been a very busy week.  Along with some changes in my job and some new job titles I have a new office.  I will be coordinating all the testing of students and of course all the testing materials.  I inherited a crazy mess and with the help of Pinterest (here and here) have tidied it up.


Before

It did not occur to me to take a before picture until I had emptied most of the shelves, but these two shelves are pretty representative of what was there.


After





The top two shelves were organized using magazine holders from Ikea.  At 5 for $1.99 they were a steal.  I made labels in Photoshop elements using digital scrapbooking paper.  I love the coordinating, uniform look of them!


Labeled


Underneath I organized materials using a Fellowes literature organizer.  Each cubby is labeled with a binder clips.  We use alternating forms for many tests, so year 1 is green and the alternating year is blue.    Tests without alternate forms have black binder clips.  I used Avery 5366 file folder labels and modified the word template so that they were only 1.25 inches wide (the width of the binder clips) and then I trimmed them with scissors.

In addition to the clearing of the shelf, I've also cleared out and organized a file cabinet full of stuff.  It feels much better now that everything is organized!

Edited to add:  The other great thing about using the binder clips is that the last copy of any form is clipped to the shelf so that no one can claim they "accidentally" took the last one.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - that looks amazing! I would have never thought to use binder clips on a literature sorter! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously had a "Why didn't I think of that?" moment on using binder clips for labels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so envious of this shelf. I have huge ugly filing cabinets for my files.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such great, simple - but oh-so useful ideas! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete